Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Reverse Gift Functional Christmas

whenever i used to ask my mother what she wanted for christmas or her birthday, she would respond with guilt-ridden demands like, "i just want you to keep your room clean; that would be the best gift ever." i'd scoff and get her a candle or something. that's much easier.

but since i am cash poor, i have been thinking about this concept - gift giving in the form of meaningful actions. but we are more likely to offer meaningful actions that require little more than the candle - a back rub, a day of cleaning, i'll write your paper for you. but what if on christmas morning, there was a santa hat filled with little wrapped boxes that contained paper. and the gift distributor would pull one out and say, "dad! it's for you!" and dad opens up the box and must read the paper aloud to all: i really wish you would stop being so critical of my boyfriend. love, gina. thus, dad's gift to gina is that he stops being so critical of her boyfriend. adam, you smell like a sick, old goat. please shower more and be sure to use soap. love, mom. arnold, when you call me a mexican it really hurts my feelings. please stop and compliment me more. love, natalie. you get the picture.

this solution makes christmas a cheap, loving, therapy session, in which everyone can give meaningful gifts that will work towards the ultimate wish for all, peace on earth. one family at a time.

1 comment:

danielle said...

I like it.

This year my mom asked that her Christmas present be that I make doctors' appointments. I might just shrug and say, "Yeah I made the appointments." And she'll be happy.

Either that or she's getting that cross stitch thing with shitty French knots.