Friday, May 25, 2007

He Loved Me Not

leave it to the poet to select unrequited love. thanks, sandra!

my eighth grade year, i fled the shelter of parochial schooling and attended palm harbor middle school. not only did the students not wear uniforms, but they made out in hallways, cussed a lot, and had food fights in the cafeteria. please know i did not stand in judgment of such shenanigans - it just shocked the pee out of me.

as if being forced into such strange surroundings wasn't enough, i was UGLY. now, you say, oh you were probably cute... but trust me. i didn't got no alibi - i was ugly. i had braces and a poorly growing out asymmetrical haircut. i think i dressed like a dork. i have a yearbook - i can prove it.

still, i was not without love interests. i set my heart on jimmy schimpf. in my twelve year old world, i LOVED him. and, he knew it. in graphics class, i carved a keychain that said "i love jimmy." in shop class, i made a wooden clock in the shape of a football helmet, and meticulously painted the washington redskins logo on it. i gave it to my dad. that is a side note, but this post is on unrequited love, right?

jimmy was my friend, but he never gave me a second glance for anything more. i thought of him, looked for him everywhere i went, daydreamed about the day he would ask me to be his girlfriend, and of course, kissing him, though such realities were foreign to me. at the end of the year dance, he asked me to dance. but don't get excited like i didn't- he was just a nice guy who knew i'd lasted all year with my heart on him. it was sort of like end of the year charity.

there is nothing quite like admiring someone and not being admired back; it tends to confirm low self-esteem and negative beliefs. it is rejection of the heart - i say, "here it is!" and he says, "um. no thanks." hope is the only thing... i kept hoping all year that jimmy would like me when he never would. i think there is some safety in that... liking the boy who you know will never like you. i'm not sure what i would have done if jimmy had returned my favor - i probably would have run and hid.

the next year, my hair grew out, i got highlights and my braces removed. i ran into jimmy at the football jamboree at his high school, and he did a double take and stopped to talk to me with great interest. he said maybe he'd call me. but it was too late. i'd moved on to matt sipera.

he didn't love me either.


see, i told you i was ugly.



oh, but look! so was jimmy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LoL I went to school with you guys, but I don't remember everyone. A lot of ppl weren't so nice back then, but meh. Older and wiser today :) I enjoyed reading your blog - it made me laugh about the old days.

-Monica McDaniel
(taelour26@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

this story made me laugh, it was sor random how i found this story dont ask how, but in my opinion jimmy was so not worth your time!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you guys still actually remember the "Hanker for a hunk of cheese" incident. LoL

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP! DO YOU EVER JUST RANDOMLY TYPE AN OLD FRIENDS NAME INTO GOOGLE AND THEN TRIP OUT WHEN YOU READ SOMETHING LIKE THIS? I JUST DID. THEN TO SEE MONICA MCDANIELS COMMENTS, AS WELL ( I THINK I MIGHT HAVE TEASED YOU A BIT IN SCHOOL, TRULY SORRY IF I CAUSED ANY PAIN). I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF THE PALM HARBOR (PELICANS?) IN A LONG TIME. WHAT A GREAT LITTLE TOWN TO GROW UP IN. IT'S A LITTLE DEPRESSING TO GO BACK AND SEE THAT THERE ISN'T ONE ACRE OF GREEN SPACE LEFT. IT SEEMS SO SMALL NOW, I USED TO THINK IT WAS ALL SO BIG. HOPE EVERYONE IS HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS. I'M A MONTH AWAY FROM MY WIFE HAVING OUR FIRST CHILD. VERY EXCITED TO SEE THE GIFT THAT GOD HAS GIVEN US. GOD BLESS.

KEVIN CONN
kgcisme@yahoo.com